Bookswithbite

Books With Bite

Cloaked

Cloaked - Alex Flinn This story is a retaling of The Frog Prince with a twist. I really like the whole concept of the story and how Ms. Flinn modernized it. She did a great job of capturing all of the classic story while mixing in some great new drama. Johnny works lots of hours just to help support him and his mom, but when a princess comes into town with a crazy story asking him for help he is not sure what to do. She throws money at him and the promise of marriage if he helps. Knowing that the money and marriage would help his mother and their situation, he agrees to it, seeking out a prince who has turned into a frog. She gives him magically devices to help him on his journey. But what he finds on this journey is what he least expected.I love classic tales. So when I received this book I knew I loved it. And loved it I did. Johnny was a hard working man who was desperate for money. Being so young and working so many hours just to help with bills really made me admire him. He didn't like it when his mother worried and was very mature for his age.The classic tale of the frog prince was a good re-tailing. I enjoyed Johnny;'s adventure in seeking the prince. He ran into all crazy animals that spoke, giants, and bad witches. Accompanying on this journey was his best friend Meg, who wasn't all what she seemed. She too also has secrets up her sleeve and only one that really mattered to Johnny.The love interest in the book was one I found myself disappointed with. While I was glad that Johnny finally realized who he loved, I was upset at the way that she acted. I felt like she was selfish and shouldn't had thrown it at his face like that. But in the end it all work out, so I was happy with that.