Bookswithbite

Books With Bite

The Name of the Star (Shades of London Series #1)

The Name of the Star - Maureen Johnson I can't begin to express how much I love it when an author takes a classic story and makes it into something I never thought of before. I have also been a big fan of Jack the Ripper. The stories itself have always intrigued me in who this man is. And why he committed the murders he committed? What was the purpose? With Ms. Johnson amazing writing style, I, the reader, am taken back to a place I have never been before, and see things new.I really enjoyed the plot. If anything the plot grabs you and pulls you in. The re-taling of Jack the Ripper gave you goosebumps all over your body! The reason the plot is so amazing is the the flow of it. I like how the reader is slowly introduce to the Jack the Ripper tales and how it weaves itself into Rory's life like a weed. You see it slowly take over her life, and you can't help but hold your breath.The love story in this book totally caught me off guard. While I was caught up with the Jack the Ripper and the murders, I had no idea that a romance had sprung up. I was quite surprised but loved that in the mist of murder and mayhem, that their could be a love after all.If you love a dark, edgy, amazingly written story, read this book. I think Ms. Johnson did an fantastic job on bringing back such a classic tale and putting something new in it. Her characters/plot caught in a way a book has never caught me before. Drowned in a great mystery, The Name of the Star is a book you must read!