Bookswithbite

Books With Bite

Once Dead, Twice Shy (Madison Avery, Book 1)

Once Dead, Twice Shy - Kim Harrison I picked up this book at my local wal-mart cruising the book section. The book section there has gotten fairly large and that make me happy! You see, in order for me to get books, I have to go to out to the mall that has the ONE book store Waldenbooks/Borders. So for me to take a trip all the way downtown....yeah it takes time, money, gas,etc.... So I found this book and it caught me eye.This is a very different very interesting book. At first I thought this was vampire and it was not. It is based on Light and Dark Reapers. Which of course you don't find many YA books based on a plot like this, so I was very happy to be reading something different. Madison was killed om her birthday/prom day. A Dark Reaper is after her due to something in her future. Apparently her saw something that she does to interrupt his plan and so he sets off to kill her. But he did not succeed. Instead, she got a hold of his amulet, which is allowing her to manifest a body, allowing her to stay earthbound. My favorite part of this story is the G.R.A.C.E.S. or Guardian, Reaper-Augmented Cherub, Extinction Security. This little guardian angel was funny. All her little one-liners kept me laughing.She defiantly added humor in this book.I also enjoyed how Madison chose to make her own decisions. We all have a choice in what we do, no matter what fate says. Fate may say we do this, but we can always change that. I admire her for that passion.This book was a small, fast, easy read. It had no curse words or sexual references. Kim Harrison did a fantastic job writing this. I'm glad that I found a book that is suitable for teens, but also great in the paranormal area.