Bookswithbite

Books With Bite

Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch

Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch - Douglas Rees This is a book about finding yourself. Kestral is an abnormal girl. She never quite fits in. She befriends a girl who is a witch and becomes one also. During this time, Kestral aka Susan, causes a lot of grief for her parents. Her dad especially. Her dad doesn't understand her. Instead of understand her, he get angry with her and she just pushes back. One day her dad yelled her to get off the roof. She makes a smart remark, making her father go up the tree to get her. As he does, he has an heart attack, falling off. This leads to Kestral being sent away and facing a whole new set of problems at a new school. This did distrub me a bit. It seems like Kestral needs some guidance. As Kestral spoke about her parents, her parents weren't really there. Her mother was a stay at home wife, who did nothing but shop. Her father was a computer geek who stayed for hours in front of the computer for hours doing work. So for them to send her away so he could get better, upset me. They rather take care of themselves then take care of their daughter who obviously needs attention.She moves in with her aunt who also practice's witchcraft. Now her Aunt was a little more attentive to her then her parents were, which made me happy. I was glad there was someone there for her. There is a lot of teen angst in this book. Kestral nicknames her parents, BD- Big Daddy, MA- Mommy Angel, or for both The RENTZ. There is a lot of pop culture reference as well as slang in this book.Douglas Rees wrote a good book. It was not what I thought it was. I thought she was a real witch. Like more in her own paranormal world. Not some human pretending to be one. I expected a little more from such an anticipated book. Kestral was a good character and indeed give me a good laugh or too. This book had some drug use, curse words, etc.