Bookswithbite

Books With Bite

The Catastrophic History of You and Me

The Catastrophic History of You and Me - Jess Rothenberg What an amazing story! I have read other amazing reviews on this book and knew I had wanted to read it. So when Joni gave me the ARC to read I was super excited! Not only is the cover gorgeous but the story inside is wonderful!The story starts with a girl dying of a broken heart. She re-tales her days leading up to her death and also recapturing the reader with what is going on after her death as well. I think this whole story plays well for me cause the afterlife is what we all have questions with. What will happen to us? Where will we go? Ms. Rothenberg creative imagination sets the reader on a journey never written before. To find truth in what we seek. Brie thinks she knows exactly what happen to her. She puts the responsibility of her death on her boyfriend not really knowing the whole story. The way the the story unfolded with secrets hidden, Brie begins to see things differently. And for me, with the first secret was exposed, I was hooked. I really enjoyed how Brie grew before the readers eyes. With each secret Brie thought she knew, she begins to see things in a whole new light. I like how each of the secrets play a role in unlocking an important door for Brie. About half way through, all I can think of is."What is the author hiding?" Let me tell you that the author is hiding an even deeper past to Brie that I hadn't seen before. And suddenly the title of the book made sense. It was not about what was happening now, but what happen back then. *wink *There really wasn't a love interest but one that is already established. I loved how the author really played down this relationship slowly bringing it up piece by piece. The reader was not confused but rather taken by surprised. It's like eating a piece a chocolate not realizing it has creamy caramel inside until it's melting in your mouth. You gasp cause you didn't know, yet it fills you with great joy in enjoying your surprise. That is how this book is for me.I loved this book! I could read it again and still be taken by surprised even though now I know how it ends. This book is a great debut that everyone should read. Interested in what happens when you die? You meet a man who calls you cheese puff!