Bookswithbite

Books With Bite

This Is Not a Drill

This Is Not a Drill - Beck McDowell Another story that is strong yet impacting, it's really hard to separate your emotions while reading this. The plot of the book is just heart-breaking. After going to war, a father comes back different. The soldier, suffering from PTSD holds a classroom of kids hostage. Okay, lets stop right there. This alone is devastating He served our country and is facing demons that I can not even dream of. I felt for this guy immediately. It's not like he is crazy, he's been through traumatic things, killed people, face death over and over. But, the other hand, he is putting harm on innocent children. It's makes you really think twice about this plot. I knew that once I got the gist of the story that there is no going back for me. There is a love interest as well a past friendship. Both Emery and Jake have a past with a mistake that separated them. I like that in this dangerous time, they kept their cool. They complied with Brain requests and even took are of the kids. They handled the situation extremely well and among all thought, managed to find love. Jake and Emery faced such a hardship together that makes them think differently about their life and how short it is. This Is Not A Drill is a unique perspective of what war causes, chaos. An insanely gripping yet heart-felt story, comes to life beautifully in front of the readers eyes. The authenticity of what happens in the mind of a solider and those around them is so realistic. This Is Not A Drill pulls the reader into a mix of amazing yet raises the hair on the back of our necks.