Bookswithbite

Books With Bite

Point of Retreat

Point of Retreat  - Colleen Hoover After reading Slammed I knew I had to read the next book. The way that Slammed ended, there was no way I was through with the story or the characters. I needed more. And it’s funny. The minute I got Point Of Retreat, I could not bring myself to read it. Why? Because I wasn’t ready for the story to end. So I let it sit on my shelf, mocking me until I finally had the courage to let go. And folks, it was beautiful.1. Emotion. One thing I adore about Ms. Hoover is the way she is able to manipulate the reader into feeling everything the characters are. I felt loved, happy, worried, scared, angry and old. I could relate to the characters because when I was little, I too had to grow up fast. My parents got divorced little a single mom and three kids to raise. And me being the oldest, I had to step up and help raise my brothers. So I get it. It felt so easy, stepping right back into the story where it left off.2. Plot. It’s easy to say that this plot is built like a roller coaster. Lots of up and downs, leaving you feeling high and depressed all at the same time. The mix of emotions with questions being raised left me feeling like I was in the book. I understood what was happening yet I couldn’t do anything about it. So when things got tough, I put the book down. But not for long, just long enough for me to take a deep breathe and dive back in.3. Minor characters. The minor characters that help shaped the main ones bring more to the story than what I thought. They are in turn, part of the main characters, Layken and Will. They were brothers, best friends, and friendly neighbors who brought good wisdom and insight to whatever problems Will and Layken had.4. Facing the past. Having a short childhood makes you question everything. Why me? Why now? How could this be true? I loved how well the author raised questions that allowed the reader to think outside the book. I loved that I could put down the book and think about Layken and her situation.5. Love. GAH! The love in this book is ever-flowing with such great innocence that it blossoms wonderfully before the readers eyes. I cried during some points in the book especially the parts where they declare their love. It’s so amazing to watch two characters over come and love each other deeply.Beautiful and inspiring, Point Of Retreat is an amazing story. Combining realistic situations with an awe inspiring hope, Point Of Retreat makes an impact. A fantastic sequel that triumphs the first book, Point Of Retreat is epic.